Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Higher Ways and Higher Thoughts



For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater:
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. 
For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.        
                                                                       Isaiah 55:8-12

I have used this passage from scripture on the blog before, yet it is so appropriate for the mission we serve in Haiti and a wonderful reminder to me.  I have been preparing to sit down and post on the blog for a couple of weeks, but I haven't had the physical, spiritual or emotional energy to get it done.  Yesterday, we received a message from a sister in Christ and she included the last verse of the passage from Isaiah that I quoted above.  I love this verse and as I read it in context during my devotions, the Word comforted me.

I am so thankful that we can depend on God's thoughts and ways to guide us in this journey.  It seems that each day can bring new challenges and it is imperative that we follow God's plan and not seek our own.

For various reasons, it seems that the last few weeks have been rather stressful for us.  I will admit that I am in the bottom of the bell curve of new experiences right now and that probably doesn't help.  It would be easy to write about the positives and make it sound like life on the mission field is just peachy, but the reality is that it is hard.  I could give lots of reasons why, but it is hard to understand unless you have lived it day to day, week to week, month to month, etc...

We had a very emotional good-bye as the Pfister family made the decision to leave the mission field and return home.  The strain on their large family was becoming more than they wanted to bear in the field, so they returned to Indiana in mid November.  We all miss them very much, but we believe God was leading them back home and we trust in His plan for them.  With Rich Pfister in the states (he is still working remotely for a few months) and two other members of the missionary leadership team on furlough, Rick, Eric and Sheila have been feeling stretched a bit thin.  Dr. Lee and his family returned yesterday from furlough and we are thankful to have them back among us.

A big surprise for me is how much I have enjoyed homeschooling our children while Miss Desma was on furlough.  We have gotten along well and have found some things we especially like to do together.  While, grammar, spelling and math seem rather tedious, Krae and I have enjoyed working together on his reading/language arts program.  As well, Mara is doing a Writing Strands program and we have enjoyed some fun writing projects. Selah has been a bit challenging at times, but she loves to "do school" too.  We have tried to do a few things each day that are fun for her and to give her some "Mom" attention.  Below is a picture of the kids helping Selah with a tracing activity.
Miss Desma has returned now and the kids will start back at the missionary school in the next few days.  They are looking forward to being in the classroom again.  The Pfister family had four children in the classroom, so the classroom dynamics will change somewhat, but the kids LOVE Miss Desma and I know she will make it just as fun for them. They are planning a Christmas program for next week.

We enjoyed a Thanksgiving gathering with a large group of missionaries serving in Haiti. Rob and Becky Thompson host an annual Thanksgiving Dinner in their yard each year and I believe the count for this year was 104 people.  This picture shows the group; we are all smiling because our tummies were full with a wonderful dinner.

We also had a wonderful day of fellowship and remembrances of the blessings for which we are thankful to God.


A little over a week ago, a few of us (the missionaries that were here) loaded up in a couple of gators and when for a drive in the countryside.  It was good to see more of the mountain that we live on.  One of the places we went was to the reservoir that supplies water to our hydro electric generator.  I took a picture of this bovine for my nephew that received Grand Champion AND Reserve Champion for his market steers at the Nemaha County Fair last summer.  I don't think this critter would do too well at the fair - what do you think, Michael?


I have mentioned our household helpers several times and I thought everyone might enjoy seeing pictures of them.

Madam Elina (cleaning) and Madam Frantz (cooking)


Mackenson (yard man)

While it has taken some "getting used to", we do appreciate these people who help us in our home.  I will mention that Madam Elina's son, Jean Enoch, has been in the hospital for the last week.  He went in with extremely swollen glands in his neck and is being treated with antibiotics.  Jean Enoch is twelve years old and prayers for his healing are appreciated.

Another prayer request is for much needed rain on the mountain.  The reservoir I mentioned before is very low on water and we are having to turn off power at night to conserve.  When the hydro generator is off, the hospital is powered by a diesel generator, but many of the missionary homes and the community do not have power. October is usually a month of rain in Haiti, but this last October was quite dry.  

We receive many emails, cards, and care packages from home and we thank each of you for the love and support.  We are also very thankful for your prayers.  I am asked about specific prayer requests so I have mentioned some in this post.  As well, I would ask that you pray that we will go out with joy and be led forth in peace in this mission and that God can use us as vessels to give glory and honor to Him.  His thoughts and His ways are higher than our own and we must focus on His wisdom and guidance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment