Are you intrigued? This does start out a bit silly, but stick with me and you will see the connection.
In 2010, our family went on our first big family vacation to the Black Hills of South Dakota. While we were in Hill City waiting to board the 1880 Steam Train, Rick ran back to our vehicle to get a camera and saw a leather hat in a store. When we returned to our vehicle after the train ride, he asked me to enter the store to see something. This was our conversation:
Rick: What do you think about this hat?
Komari: It's a nice hat. Is this what you wanted me to see?
Rick: Yeah, should I get this hat? (As he is trying it on)
Komari: Why? It's a cool hat, but when would you wear it?
Rick: I could wear it to mow the lawn.
Komari: You won't wear that to mow the lawn! (just a bit sarcastic)
Rick: I would wear it on a mission trip.
Komari: Are you going on a mission trip?
Rick: Someday... ...I've wanted a hat like this since I was in high school.
Komari: If you really want the hat, go ahead and get it. (to herself: I don't think he will ever wear it, but whatever.)
He did get the hat and after it sat on the closet shelf for a couple of months, a mission trip to Haiti was announced in church. Rick's birthday was coming up; I knew he would enjoy being part of a construction mission trip in Haiti and he could take that hat!! So, I committed him to go, paid the fees and the kids and I gave him a card on his birthday with all the details.
In February 2011, Rick (and the hat) traveled with John and Cornelia Aberle and the team they led to serve Palm Grove Missions in Haiti. While in Haiti, the team had the opportunity to visit our sister in faith, Sheila Moser, who was serving at Hospital Lumiere in Bonne Fin. Rick had heard about the hospital, but was surprised by the infrastructure and potential that he saw there. He came away with a positive impression and shared with Sheila the potential that he saw and his excitement that our church was getting more involved in the management of the facility. She suggested he pray about serving there.
Once Rick was back home, he shared with me his thoughts about Hospital Lumiere. Before he got to the part where he wanted to ask me to consider praying about service there, I dropped a bit of a bombshell. He came home to find out that we were expecting a baby. Once I shared that I thought I was pregnant (at 40), he felt it might be better to keep his thoughts to himself regarding mission service in a foreign country. (Wise Man)
As we look back, we see how God planted this seed in his heart and how God chose the correct timing to let that seed sprout and grow into a willingness and desire to serve Him.
See the next post for more of the story...

No comments:
Post a Comment